Friday 25 July 2014

Expressions That Shouldn't Be Expressions


I keep telling myself that I should maybe write something nice on this blog. Then I remember its name.
So here's a bunch of expressions that I find bizarre!
(Who comes up with these things?)

1. The saying "easy as pie".


Anyone who's ever made pie knows that making it is not easy. So by that logic, this phrase might as well be "easy as pure maths".



2. "It ain't over till the fat lady sings."

 I didn't know the Fat Lady could sing!




3. To "headbutt" someone.

Striking someone's face or body with your head like this is not a headbutt.




A headbutt is what happens to me after every Sujoud at the Masjid.



4. To give someone "a run for their money".

Which is really not a nice thing to do to someone.



Hey, look! I've drawn a picture describing human nature!

5. To be "broke".

Just because you don't have any money, doesn't mean you're broken and worthless.

This saying is so typical of the money-worshiping society we live in and is the very reason our kind fails at attaining long-term happiness and peace of mind, with the mentality we currently have forcing us to perceive mon-

"Malak, do you need some sleep?"


"Yes!"

6. "Break a leg."




This statement has boggled me for years, so I looked into it. And I found this:

While it may seem strange to wish someone good luck by wishing an injury upon them, this phrase came about in the theater, where superstition dictated that wishing someone good luck would have the opposite result, whereas a curse would be reversed.


Huh!


7. "What goes up must come down."




No! What goes up does not necessarily have to come down! In fact, if it wasn't for the force of gravity, what goes up would just keep going up! That's Newton's First Law for you! Stop trying to be philosophical and get yo facts right!

8. "James Rodríguez moves to Real Madrid."


These six words should never ever ever ever ever ever ever be used in that order in a sentence.

9. "Bob's your uncle."

Which is used in Britain to mean "and there you have it!"

But really, it's the most ridiculous expression I've ever heard.
I'm pretty sure Hassan's my uncle.


Bob is amazed at the number of nephews and nieces he has.

10. To be "head over heels in love".


Do these guys realize that heads are always over heels?! That's basic human anatomy, people!





11. "It's raining cats and dogs".

God forbid.

And lastly...

12. "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

Wanna bet?

No comments:

Post a Comment